Friday, March 9, 2018

Progress - Off the Wall Friday

For the last month I've been spending at least one long day in my studio working on my Craftsy Block of the Month Quilt.  Ya know, there is a running debate about what is more work an art quilt or a traditional quilt.  To tell you the truth, I had absolutely convinced myself that an original art quilt was more work.  I mean, ya gotta come up with the design yourself right?  You have to decide how you're going to make it right?  And THEN you have to actually make it so it looks half way decent.  Obviously, an art quilt takes more time.

Well that's before I dived back into the world of traditional quilting.  I mean gosh this kit came with ALL the fabric, the WHOLE pattern and even an online class with a clear speaking TEACHER.  How hard could it be?

Plenty.  

But after spending a month of paper piecing and matching points, I'm much better at it.  Plus the method of paper piecing the class taught left nice neat backs.  Truly paper piecing is a great way to get small precise pieces together!

With the center medallion done ....I only made one piecing mistake from the original pattern ....and once I noticed it I decided I liked it better this way anyways.....I'm onto the next month's lesson...curve piecing.  

More than once I've studied curved piecing but its good for a refresher.  Plus this uses paper piecing AND curve piecing  ....ohhhhh goody.... she says sarcastically.

Still with all the whining, I'm really loving the refresher and feel accomplished when I get a section done.  Another good by-product is that I'm noticing that several of my tools that I've had over 25 years need replacing so I get to do a bit of shopping!!

So onto Curve piecing!

What Have You Been Up to Creatively?

3 comments:

quiltedfabricart said...

I don’t know what happened but it’s noon here in the northeast and I am the only one linking up so far. Usually it’s filled. Strange.

Anyway, yes traditional quilting is so much harder because you have to be patient and perfect. Two traits that I wish I had but alas, do not. I think that’s why improv piecing has become so popular. No perfection there! I admire your endeavor. The top, bottom and side blocks remind me of a praying mantis.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

We must hve been on the same wave length this week! I love it!

Jenny K. Lyon said...

Interesting take on traditional quilting-I'm enjoying your progress on this piece and I love the way it's turning out. THose points ARE perfect!